On 27th March 1971, several ASEAN countries came together to form a non-profit organization that would truly and collectively focus on the development and promotion of tourism destinations, attractions and its supporting infrastructure within the ASEAN region, and ASEANTA (the ASEAN Tourism Association) was born.
From its humble beginnings in 1971, ASEANTA today is well-established and proud to have members from both the public and private tourism sectors that include the National- Level Tourism Associations from all 10 ASEAN countries, Hotel and Restaurant Associations, Airlines, and National Tourism Organizations (NTOs).
ASEANTA Initiatives Include:
1. Fostering closer working relationships between all its members, partners, and travel related government agencies – with ASEANTA as a platform for bridging communication and collaboratingefforts in the sustainable growth and development of ASEAN Tourism.
2. Encouraging efforts to develop and grow ASEAN tourism – offering support and assistance when required;
3. Playing an active role in the shaping of tourism policies within the ASEAN region that will safeguard the interests of its members – through feedback, recommendations, and having dialogues with relevant government departments and agencies;
4. Creating synergistic alliances amongst all ASEANTA members to enhance the growth of tourism in the ASEAN region.
5. Stressing the need for improving and providing reasonable quality service to travellers and tourists – by monitoring standards of service and professionalism.
6. Serve on or offer assistance to any government, statutory, or international body in connection with tourism matters.
7. Setting a platform for ASEAN tourism fraternity to interact and opening of opportunities to ensure the sustainability of the integrated ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).
We at ASEANTA recognizes the fact that tourism is a key economic driver for ASEAN and will continue our efforts to push for world class tourism offerings that will entice and delight all travellers to ASEAN region, be it for business or leisure.
ASEANTA’s Annual General Meeting was held on 2 April 2017 at the Dorsett Kuala Lumpur Hotel, and the new Set of Officers for 2017 to 2019 are as follows:
President: Mr. Devinder Ohri (President of NATAS Singapore)
Deputy President: Mr. Sam Cheah (President of MAH Malaysia)
Secretary General: Ms. Margaret Heng (Executive Director of SHA Singapore)
Treasurer: Ms. Supawan Tanomkieatipume (President of THA Thailand)
• Mr. Charlie Yu – Consultant, Philippine Airlines
• Mr. Jackie Thet – President of UMTA Myanmar
• Mr. Sabli Arsad – President of ATAB, Brunei
The ASEANTA Board wish to congratulate Aeropolis Airlines + Destinations on the launching of their new magazine and we wish them all the best!